Homecoming

Fiona Thomas, Reporter/Illustrator

Talking bubbled all around as the students waited in the commons for the doors to open. As soon as they did, the crowd hustled forward into the dark gymnasium. Music played as the students fanned out into the gym. This was the start of Westerville South’s 2019 Homecoming dance, which took place on Sept. 28.

Walking into the gym, the first thing students noticed was peppermints and taffy hanging from the ceiling. A wall in the commons area further carried the theme of “Candyland”; it was a gingerbread house with a bright red door that was embellished with a wreath and a gingerbread man. The ground, leading up to the gymnasium door, was decorated with Starlight peppermint stickers, which was fun and playful.

Like anything else, opinion on the decorations was mixed.  Freshman Imani Munene thought they needed more artistic detail. “They’re a little lame,” Munene said. 

On the other hand,  senior Alex Couch said, “The decorations are the best part.”

In a dark gym lit up with neon lights, students danced and jostled each other for the limited space in the middle of the gym floor. Music is a priority for any dance; and like so many other dances, the opinions on Saturday’s DJ varied.  

Senior Tyler Wetzel said that the music “sounds like the worst house party ever is going on next door.”  Senior Gerick Sembrano said, “Too much base, it’s assaulting my organs.” 

However, senior Keyton Kowalski enjoyed the music. “It makes me want to dance,” he said.

In the commons, there were multiple games available to play, including giant playing cards, Candyland, Sorry, and a giant checkerboard. Many students were in the commons partaking in the games. Large groups of them could be seen playing a game together. 

Freshman Alex Sheen said that the games were a nice touch because not everybody wants to dance.

Fiona Thomas
(L) Ashton Melloquist, sophomore (R) Dominic Steele, sophomore. Playing giant checkers.
Fiona Thomas
Gloria Rogers, freshman. playing with giant playing cards.
Fiona Thomas
Hanging candy from the ceiling in the cafeteria.
Fiona Thomas
Gingerbread house next to the new wildcat mural.
Fiona Thomas
Peppermint walkway.
Fiona Thomas
Gymnasium all dressed up.
Fiona Thomas
Christmas tree on the dance floor.
Fiona Thomas
Taking apart the decor.
Fiona Thomas
Stocked concession stand.