Boys and Girls track prepares for Wildcat Invitational

Morgan McCoy, Sports Editor and Social Media Manager

Both South track teams are preparing for the 2021 Wildcat Invitational, scheduled for Friday April 23. 

WSHS will be joined by 12 other teams competing at Paul G. Price Memorial Stadium, including Westerville North. 

South has hosted the Wildcat Invitational for over 40 years, which is how long head girls coach Jim Gual has coached the WIldcats.

Gual taught in the district for 38 years, and has continued to coach after his retirement. 

Due to the pandemic, this meet was not able to happen last year. Head Boys Coach Jimmy Gual, said that “on what would have been the day of the Wildcat, Dad and I came in to put away our pits, hurdles, and everything else after our season was cancelled.” 

Tickets for the event will be limited due to the restrictions on capacity. Spectators will be required to wear masks and continue to socially distance, which is not unheard of during this time. 

WSHS Junior Brooke Holloway has already broken the school record in pole vault for the season, with a height of 11 feet, 6 inches. 

Wildcat Sophomore, Marissa Saunders, broke the school record in the 100m hurdles, 14.39 seconds. 

Gual said “I love to talk track, and we have some very talented athletes in our program!”