Scribe highlights ways to get involved at South

Tiara Takyi, Editor-In-Cheif

Last month, during advisory, students learned the importance of getting involved in extracurricular activities. Research suggests that students who are more involved get better grades, are more likely to graduate and have a greater sense of belonging in their community. 

Westerville South High School offers 43 clubs and organizations to join. Each month The Scribe will highlight two organizations at South discussing what they’ve been doing and their current impact on the student body. 

This months organizations are the Student council and Our Voices Matter

Student Council, a club primarily led by science teacher Lauren Sefton, is a student body group that organizes activities around the school such as Homecoming, Caring and Sharing, Veteran recognition, and new this year, Students Recognizing Students. 

Sefton said, “If you are someone who is looking to make an impact in your school, the community at large and have strong leadership ” student council is the place to be.

There’s a specific way to join the student council. The council releases applications in April every year so rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors can join. If you are a freshman who wants to join, Sefton said. “Just Show up.” Meetings are every Thursday after school in  Room 115 and end at 3 p.m.

Homecoming is already done, but volunteers are still needed for caring and sharing during the holidays and other volunteer opportunities. 

Our Voices Matter is a newer club at Westerville South led by science teacher Tyler Rutledge. The purpose of the group is to “empower students, letting them know that they have a voice that can be heard. Also, to draw inclusivity with black, white, Asian, Hispanic, homosexual, non-binary, and other students of all diversities” Said Rutledge.

He said , “Our Voices Matter is just like BLM, a reminder that even at the bottom of it all, you matter as a student to be a part of the Community, Westerville South, Westerville, And Westerville City Schools.”

Anyone can join Our Voices Matter and have the opportunity to express themselves in an open environment. The main goal Rutledge has for this group is to “ give students the space to discuss social justice issues without having a grade attached”. If you want to be heard and accepted, this group highlights just that. 

OMV member Nhi Ton, senior, said, “The group has become a safe place for me. It’s just a place where I can just go and talk about everything. But also, it’s a place where I can feel supported and accepted. Everyone there just listens to each other and it’s truly a space where you know you will be heard”.

OVM meetings are every first and third Tuesday after school until 3 p.m. in the Blue Wing, Room 1308. Rutledge said everyone is welcome, and all you have to do is show up.