Senior Section: Completing College Application

Hustle and Bustle – An infographic depicting the many steps and processes behind applying to a college. It is no easy task and requires hard work and perseverance.

Daniel Boudreau, Feature/News Editor

With the early college registration deadline of Nov. 1 approaching, it means that seniors now more than ever must know what the college registration process entails. 

According to TheBestSchools.org, you will need to compile ACT or SAT test scores, letters of recommendation, your official transcript, and an application essay in order to apply to a college. 

Regarding the volume of these applications, TheBestSchools.org also states that “if you’re only applying to very academically competitive schools, you may want to submit 8-10 applications. For most students, four or five schools is about the right number.”

There is a large issue of finances present when applying to a college, according to Caroline Bowling, senior, the most important aspect of college application is securing the finances necessary to attend these schools. This can be done in the form of scholarships.

Cappex.com says that scholarships are monetary grants distributed by the government, private organizations, or interest groups. There are many types of scholarships: federal aid, pell grant, Federal Supplemental Educational opportunity grant, and education tax benefits. 

“Scholarship checks awarded in your name can be spent on anything, but you would be wise to look at this as an investment and not a free pass to splurge on video games or concert tickets,” according to Cappex.com. “This money is for school expenses. This could mean tuition, but it could also be books, pencils, housing, food (you can’t study on an empty stomach) or even computers and software.”

In terms of personal savings, Bowling stated, “My family has money saved up and I will be paying for the rest of my own.”

It can be worth your time to apply for a scholarship that you will have an easier time receiving. Bowling said, “There are scholarships for minorities, lower income individuals, and many more.” In order to apply for these scholarships, Bowling added, “You will submit a scholarship essay that says why you deserve this scholarship.”

Writing your college application essay is another key part of the application process. “In order to write an essay, you should review the essay requirements, brainstorm ideas, write a first draft, refine the draft, polish the draft,” according to SNHU.edu, “and then incorporate relevant feedback and changes from a reliable authority, and proofread the final draft.” 

Bowling said, “You should write about any event that reveals who you are, and what is unique to you.” She also added that the essay should be 650 words or less, which is the maximum word limit.

Letters of recommendation are also useful in the application process.  According to TheBestSchools.org, “Many colleges ask students to obtain letters of recommendation from their teachers, which provide a more complete picture.” TheBestSchools.org also suggests that one should “ask teachers for letters of recommendation at the end of 11th grade, since that allows them to compile their thoughts over the summer.”

Another essential aspect of the application process is submitting your transcript. According to SNU.edu, “A college transcript is all the classes you have taken, your grade point averages, your awards and commendations you have received during the course of your academic career, student information, and other official documentation.” Bowling states that “universities will require your official transcript,” and that “you can ask your counselor for one and it will be sent through naviance.”

The final step in the application process is submitting your results from the SAT or ACT examinations. TheBestSchools.org states that “the two most common college tests are the ACT and the SAT, which seek to measure what you’ve learned in high school.” It is also stated that “nearly every college that wants test scores will let you submit results from the ACT or the SAT, so it’s up to you to decide — you may also take both.”