WESTERVILLE SOUTH TRACK AND FIELD ATHLETES TAKE “PRIDE” TO A NEW LEVEL

Jillian Pride, Business Manager

The Westerville South track team competed among some of the fastest athletes in the state at the indoor state meet, which took place in Geneva, Ohio, on March 4. These athletes not only showed up and competed, but they showed up for one another.

“My favorite part of being part of the team is my teammates looking up to me based on my achievements and guiding them through a great season,” said Senior Emmanuel Asabere. 

Junior Marissa Saunders, who competed in the 100m dash and 60m hurdles, ran a 8.65 second in the 60m hurdle event placing first and beating her personal best. Now, Saunders is a part of the USA top 25 60m dash times as well as State top 10 60m dash times. Saunders is making her way to the New Balance National Meet, located in New York on March 19. 

Competing at this level is difficult.  Saunders said, “Everyone at these meets are elite-level hurdlers so you have to run fast and consistently through the rounds to make it to finals.”

A new member of the Westerville south track team, Sophomore  Alexus Roberts also competed in the 60m hurdle dash and is also a part of the State’s top 10 60m dash times. 

“I’ve never felt left out from the team; they are all so supportive, and I can’t wait for the season,” Roberts added. 

Roberts placed second in the 60m hurdle dash running in 8.96 seconds. She also competed in the long jump field events, placing 8th with a jump of 16ft 4in.

Asabere also competed in the Long jump field events. Asabere made his way to Triple Jump finals placing 12th with a jump of 38ft 9in. Triple jump is one of the toughest jumping events, but Asabere has a positive outlook.

“I enjoy long jump and teaching my teammates the correct form as well as learning along the way,” said Asabere. 

Westerville South’s boys relay team, which includes Sophomore Nick Hoelscher, Junior Gabe Combs, Senior Chase Jackson, and Senior Eeshwar Gattupalli all competed in the 4x800m relay. 

“Our relay team works so hard in our workouts; and when it comes to the meet, we cheer each other on and push each other to our limits,” said Hoelscher. 

The team placed 16th, running a total time of 8 minutes 14 seconds. 

South’s team is ready to compete; they started off on the right foot and have the rest of the season to learn and grow as individuals as well as a team.