South goes pink for Olentangy Liberty

Jason+Penn+tackling+liberty+player%0A%0APhoto+taken+by+Tariq+Fort+

Jason Penn tackling liberty player Photo taken by Tariq Fort

Tariq Fort, Reporter

On 0ct. 5 Westerville South squared off against Olentangy Liberty. Despite a half time lead of 28-7, South lost to Liberty, with a final score of 31-35.

As part of this match up, South students and players marked this game as a “pink out” to support breast cancer awareness since October marks the 33rd annual Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Wildcat student section supported Breast Cancer Awareness Month by wearing pink on Friday.  South’s cheerleaders and football team also participated by showing off their colors on the field.

Students section during pink out Photo taken by Tariq Fort

The t-shirts sold for the pink out were sponsored by the Pink Ribbon Girls, an organization that supports families that have someone who has breast cancer or gynecological cancer. Their motto is “No One Travels This Road Alone”, meaning the pink ribbon girls will do everything to help individuals battling breast cancer. The pink ribbon girls offer transportation, healthy meals, and house cleaning free of charge to those in need.

Sophomore Danna Chavez ,said “This month means a lot to me and my family. My great aunt had breast cancer a few years ago, which she beat. She is a big part of our family and helps bring everyone together.  Treatment was a big deal for us; it cost my family a lot of money with rides back and forth to the hospital. It is nice that there are people out there who are willing to help others get better, because every life is precious and should be treated with care. So I celebrate this month with happiness for my great aunt.”

If anyone is interested in helping the Pink Ribbon Girls, visit their website to learn more about this organization or to donate go to www.pinkribbongirls.org/get-involved.