A Glimpse Inside Mental Health At South

Mental+health+disorders+

Photo courtesy of CollegeAD

Mental health disorders

Kimberly Reyes, Reporter

Mental health is an important topic among high school students. Westerville South students worry, however, that the topic does not receive the attention it needs. 

Last month was Suicide Prevention Awarness month, Westerville South did not acknowledge or address this issue even though nearly 800,000 people die by suicide every year, and Westerville South is not immune to this issue.

Senior Jackie Saldana felt, “South should have very much addressed the issue because of the impact school has on mental health.”

When asked about the issue, Azalea Tang, the school’s mental health specialist, responded with how important the student voice is to South and how they are always welcome to give feedback on how to make things more accessible to students. 

“I know at this age it’s common to talk to each other and not staff; but if students come forward with an idea for a Sucide Prevention Month, then 100% we will help make it happen,” Tang said.

Although Suicide Prevention Awarness month is over, it is still important to educate yourself on the issue. Suicide is the second leading cause of death in the world for those aged 15-24 years. 

According to The National Alliance on Mental Illness there are warning signs of sucide. They reported, “Aggressive behavior, withdrawal from friends,family and community, dramatic mood swings, and impulsive or reckless behavior.” However, not everyone displays the same signs. 

Prolonged stressed is a risk factor of suicide along with a history of trauma, other known mental health conditions, and recent loss according to The National Alliance on Mental Illness. 

Feeling stressed is an issue students frequently mention.  According to Tang, “Feeling stressed is probably top 5 of why students come down to see us or one of their school counselors.” Tang explained that counselors have started to see it at younger ages. “Students are caring and holding a lot of stress even from a 9th grade point,” she said.

Students interviewed at South feel that school has a major impact on their mental health.  Senior, Naomi Nathan said, “School has definitely negatively affected my mental health. This is due to the pressure that school has placed on me, and I know many others.”

The classroom is where students are for most of the day, five days a week.  Therefore, teachers play a critical role in teaching those who might be having issues with their own mental health. 

Cassandra Coggburn, English teacher, who although has no formal, certified training in mental health, along with most teachers at South, still does her best to help students who are or seem to be struggling. She said she checks on students who are noticeably different from one week, asking them how she might be able to help. 

“Depending on their answers, I will offer individual help with school work; or if it is something beyond my expertise, I will refer them to guidance to check-in with their counselor, or I will refer them to Miss Noelle or Miss Azalea,” Coggburn said.

Students felt there were ways teachers could help them and others with mental health, Senior Haleigh Still said, “For me there’s one teacher at South that I know I can always go to about anything. it’s always good to have that one adult you can trust at school with anything. So growing those relationships at school is important and could help.” 

At this day and age students feel more comfortable talking to each other rather than staff at Westerville South. Senior, Liam Casssdy spoke about this, “Personally it just depends on the person I’m talking to. There are some teachers that don’t think mental health/suicidal thoughts are real which makes me uncomfortable because they won’t understand.” 

According to the National Alliance on Mental Health, “Having those honest and sometimes hard conversations can be super beneficial and shed light on this highly taboo and stigmatized topic.”

Students and staff both shared the importance of mental health becoming a mandatory aspect of all schools. 

Nathan felt that, “Mental health should most certainly be a main topic in school because almost every student has some form of a mental illness, whether that be anxiety, depression or even ADHD. When the concept of a mental illness is talked about and normalized, it allows other students to emphasize with each other and possibly allow others to open up and feel more accepted.” 

“Mental health should be mandatory in all schools,” Still said, “Anxiety is one of the main ones that should be talked about because it’s pretty popular.”

Coggburn brought up the idea of covering mental health more in depth with the current health curriculum or even as an elective class. “I’m not sure mandating mental health education by all teachers is a good idea because we are not adequately trained to address these issues,” Coggburn said. 

Tang brought up the point that “mandatory” is a hard word for some people and by making something mandatory people will fight back on it. Instead she mentioned, “Framing it as an invitation for those who want to learn about the topic.”

Staff and students want to make Westerville South a place where people can feel safe to speak and learn openly about issues that affect everyone. 

“I believe it’s important to create more space and support students who want to do more with mental health,” Tang said.