New Diversity Club at South sparks excitement

Kimberly Reyes, Reporter

Westerville South welcomed a new Diversity Club to the school on Oct.21, when students met virtually to talk openly about social justice topics and concerns. 

Tyler Rutledge, a science teacher at South, created this club in hopes to promote more diversity within students, the school, and the Westerville community. Rutledge said, “Within science it’s difficult at times to show students people who look like them, but this is influential to students. Being able to see themselves allows them the confidence to know they can do this.”

The club has sparked multiple conversations at South with students excited to learn more. 

Senior, Michelle Nikansah-Wiafe  talked about her interest towards the club.

“It sounds like a club that I’d definitely think about joining. I did BHM for two years and that was the closest I could get to learning about black history that wasn’t taught in class,” Nikansah-Wiafe said.  

Along with Nikansah-Wiafe, senior, Iman Benlemlih believes this club will allow students to be more open-minded while also teaching them different values of life that they might not learn at home. 

Rutledge voiced that this club is very student led and he will be leaving it up to the students to decide what will be discussed. Nikansah-Wiafe thinks the BLM movement, mass incarceration, and white privilege are important topics to be discussed. 

Senior, Gloria Hernandez said, “Cultural appropriation should be talked about.”

Along with monthly meetings, Rutlege is trying to involve other organizations too. “I am hoping to be able to work with other groups to bring together events in which we can celebrate and learn about other cultures as well,” he said.

Rutledge was very pleased with how the first meeting went. “We were able to discuss what they sought from this club and ways in which we can accomplish some of these goals,” he said.

At the end of the meeting the students decided to talk about the Black Lives Matter movement and how it has affected them along with racial injustice in healthcare. Rutledge is hopeful to see more students in the upcoming meetings. 

Students believe this club is a very important addition to Westerville  South and will shed light on relevant issues/topics. Senior Carissa Schroeder said, “I think it’s a really good idea for people of all different backgrounds, ethnicities and cultures to come together and talk about specific topics.” 

Benlemlih believes diversity is an area that schools do not hit on enough.  “Considering the fact that we live in a melting pot country, it’s so important to know about the people around you and how they view things with respect to their culture, in comparison to yours, ” she said. 

Rutledge’s goal for this club is to educate and give a voice to students. “Many times throughout history, students and young voices are dismissed. Therefore, by giving them information and educating them on these topics it gives their voices power,” he said.

Ultimately making changes that will allow Westerville to be a place all students have the best experience. 

Due to district and government restrictions on gatherings over 10 people, the club will be meeting virtually for the time being. The meetings will continue the third Tuesday of every month at 2:15p.m. using the Google Meet nickname WSHS Diversity Club.