Senior guide to the college application process

Jack Rockwood, Reporter

Early action deadlines have passed; around 170 students have already applied to one or more colleges, with around 100 more planning to apply by the end of this year, guidance counselor Justin Ferguson said.

For nearly 100 seniors who plan on applying to college, but haven’t yet, Mr. Ferguson has some advice. “Christmas break is coming up and that’s a great time to apply for colleges if you haven’t already. There are second round deadlines coming up in January (mainly OSU). If you miss the 2nd round of application deadlines, then you’re likely to not be admitted,” he said.

With nearly half of the senior class having already applied to college, students are starting to get admissions decisions. One such student is Senior Daniel Murray.  “So far, I have only heard back from Kent State. I am glad to say I was accepted,” he said. 

“I have applied to three colleges so far: Kent State, Ohio State, and Cincinnati. When choosing I was looking for the right type of environment and a strong chemistry program, as that will be my major,” Murray said. “They were all recommended by friends or family,” he added.

Another student, Senior Leo Fagge applied to several universities or colleges as well. 

“I don’t really have a top favorite, and I figured the more colleges I applied to the more likely I would get accepted somewhere,” Fagge stated. “I hope to study engineering and one day pursue a career in that field.”

Fagge said, “So far I have heard back from [and been accepted at] Oklahoma State University, Otterbein, University of Dayton, and Benedictine College, but I hope to hear back from more soon.”

If you haven’t heard back from any schools yet, don’t panic. On The Ohio State University’s website it states, “By meeting the early action deadline, you’ll get an admission decision no later than the end of January.”

And if you applied for a regular decision, it may take even longer. OSU has their normal application deadline set for Feb. 1, with an admissions decision coming by the end of March. Many other local schools such as Otterbein have similar deadlines.

Inevitably, some students will get rejected from one school or another. If this happens to you, the first thing you should do is update that school’s status in Naviance. This is also why CollegeBoard recommends applying to five-eight schools so you have safety options.

When you do get accepted by a school, if it is not your first pick Ferguson suggested waiting to make a decision. Ferguson stated, “[you] can take your time and hear back from their other schools before [you] make a decision.”

If you have been accepted at more than one school, and you aren’t decided on where to go, you have to compare their offers. According to CollegeBoard.org, this can come in the form of comparing programs, location, or scholarships.

When you are ready to accept an offer, you can do this by paying the enrollment fee.  This is not refundable and could be well over $100, Ferguson said.  “This can be done through the college’s website, or they may send you an email about how to do it for that particular school. Make sure you’re checking your emails,” Ferguson added.

Odds are that you will have heard back from more than one school, so once you have accepted an offer by paying the enrollment fee you have to decline the others.

“Common courtesy would be to call the admission’s office and let them know that you do not plan to attend in the fall,” guidance counselor Jennifer Stovall stated. “Just thank them, let them know your plans, and they’ll take you off of their contact list,” Ferguson added.

“As soon as you pay your deposit, each college will send you a list of your next steps which include paying housing deposit, orientation, etc.,” Stovall stated.

“Your college will stay in constant contact with you regarding next steps and events,” Ferguson stated. “If you’re not checking your email, you could end up completely lost in the process.”

The OSU website lists common steps for the school and many others that should be taken once your acceptance fee is paid. These steps include signing up for orientation, applying for housing, and receiving your financial aid package. These steps typically occur in mid to late spring.

Finally, one final reminder if you still plan to apply to college by the end of high school, “Don’t wait any longer. Reach out to your school counselor and they will help guide you. You will want to get this done ASAP because the second semester is almost here, and it is going to fly by,” Stovall stated.

Morgan