Black History Month celebration

Adnan Ganow, Reporter

Black history month was a celebration of black success. It reminds many of the struggles that black individuals went through to make this happen. It is also a month of remembrance for the people who fought for the freedom of black people and their achievements.

Carter G. Woodson was the father of black history month. On Steptember 9th 1923, he first introduced it as a week, called ¨negro week¨. He created the week to celebrate black success according to the Zinn Education Project. 

In 19576, President Gerald Ford was the first president to recognize black history month. He said, Americans should seize the opportunity to honor the accomplishments of black people according to ¨africanamericanhistorymonth¨.  

The Navy History and Heritage Command celebrates this month to honor the African Americans who fought in many wars and battles in American history. Also to celebrate the diversity that black people brought after fighting for their freedom.

Junior student Taha Husian said, ¨We celebrate this month to honor black people’s history and shine light to some of the things black people did to help the US be where it is today¨. 

The common inspiration going into black history month at Westerville high schools is the widespread protest and civil unrest. Many of the programs taking part in Westerville high schools’ goal surround Black History Month. At Westerville South with all the protests going around students want to celebrate black voice and black excellence according to westerville city schools website.

Westerville students are also performing in the assemblings to celebrate Black History Month. In Westerville South the assemblings include dancing, speeches, and musical selections according to westerville city schools website.