Westerville South Seniors showcase art

Sophia Shai, Reporter

Senior IB Art exhibits have been displayed all around Westerville South. These beautiful works of art have created conversation and drawn the attention of both staff and students. The Scribe was able to interview several of the artists to gain insight into their individual works.

Senior, Gloria Hernandez- “Waste”

“I wanted the beauty of the sea turtle to show through to the audience. I also wanted to emphasize the waste in the ocean that humans are causing as well. I used a rough board to paint on, wanting it to make the whole piece look like something that was also set aside from humanity. I added some random trash to it as well, I wanted it to be relatable so I included masks and amazon plastic as well,” Hernandez said.

Senior, Kaitlyn McBride- “Found in the Attic”

“I was inspired to paint a child’s toy as many of our blissful memories come from our childhood. I went with the idea to show how an object can mean a lot sentimentally as it lets us recall our past. This toy, no matter how beaten, could mean so much to one person while another may view it as a piece of garbage,” McBride said.

Senior, Emmanuel Okyere- “That’s Crazy

“I initially got the idea for this piece based on the phrase “that’s crazy”. In this art piece titled “is that crazy?” I aim to make the viewer think the answer is confusing by putting two contradicting ideas together: a demonic looking face and a host of items unfit for a demon. I hope that the viewer can feel the incongruence between the pieces of my art. This fits into my theme of social isolation as this figure is one that would be an outcast, never truly fitting in somewhere,” Okyere said.

Senior, EJ Quimba- “Valuable Moments Never Seem to Last”

“This mixed media piece shows a figure in their teens/young adult [ages], eyes crossed out as that time of their life is dead. The clock represents time, and how it’s only going forwards, never back,” Quimba said.

Senior, Marley Jackson- “Skin like Honey”

“I painted this piece in my Painting 1 class where the assignment was to select several images to paint that went altogether. I had the idea to paint numerous body parrots that had honey dripping on them as well as incorporate a honey jar. I decided on this honey idea because I really wanted to challenge myself with experimenting with the reflections and shapes honey makes when dripping. I am really proud of the outcome of this piece, because of how I captured reflections as well as creating a sensual feeling,” Jackson said.

Senior, Mycah Wyckoff- “Will You Play?”

“This project was a continuation of “When all my friends come out to play”. I wanted to continue the feeling of weirdness and discomfort. I use the tree trunk to resemble the many trees in the painting. I wanted to make the trunk a focus as a hand appears to be coming out of the tree that is meant to represent my “friend” coming out to play,” Wyckoff said.

Senior, Naomi Nathan- “Is This The Real Me?”

“With oil and acrylic paint, this painting was created to demonstrate the rare condition called Alice in Wonderland Syndrome. This disorder causes one’s reality to be distorted, as in reference to the movie, Alice in Wonderland. How you perceive yourself and your reality is completely different,” Nathan said.