Lady Wildcat Volleyball Dominates Groveport Madison in Program Sweep Sept. 13

Braden McDonald, Reporter

WSHS Women’s volleyball had a program sweep on Monday, Sept. 13 against Groveport Madison High School. 

Senior Colleen Morrison, who is the Outside Hitter, claimed, “Playing as a team and having good team chemistry throughout the night” was key to the dominating victory.

Senior Setter Brenda Light agreed with Morrison.  “The key was communication and being on the same page with every play. Off the court we are all very close and when we allow that connection to come on the court, no team can get past us,” Light said.

There was a lesson to be learned from that Monday night according to Morrison, which is  to “play more games like that and come on the court confident.”

The sweep started with the JV and Freshman team who both secured their close battles with a win before Varsity finished off the program sweep. Once the first team in the program wins their game it creates momentum for the rest of the program. Light stated “When JV and freshman win it lights a fire within each of us to leave everything out on the court. We all love a program sweep!”

Continuing the momentum, Morrison said, “The next practice we had we came in feeling good and practiced what worked during the game and went over what hurt us” which is supported by the great performances the lady Wildcats had at their next two games the following week.

The victories against Groveport Madison came somewhat as a surprise until the games actually started.  Morrison commented, “We aren’t 100% sure how a team is going to be until we get there; but once we got in our groove, we knew we were unstoppable.” 

Being in the latter half of the season,  players have high expectations for the team and program as a whole for the rest of the season. Light said, “My goal for the rest of this season is to get redemption on the teams we lost to. With this being my last season of high school volleyball, I want to end it on the highest note possible! My team and I have been working very hard in practice and it will show in our upcoming games!” 

Getting revenge on previous teams is possible with their schedule, especially with the second scheduled Westerville North game coming up on Thursday, Oct. 7.  The Lady Wildcats lost a close battle to their rivals earlier this season.

Morrison’s expectations for the rest of the season are to have a winning season and that an earlier goal is to hit 10 wins. “It is going to be challenging but we have put in the work, and I know we can do it.  We are just going to have to push.”