One Final Touchdown: Senior Wildcats say goodbye

Lauryn Bowie, Social Media Manager

Westerville South’s football program is taking a hard hit this year after losing a very impactful senior class. The team will lose a total of 11 seniors, many of whom plan to play football at the next level. 

“ The 2022 class was very special to us,” Assistant Coach Marques Parks said. “They have brought so much to us on a talent level and have been great role models for the underclassmen,” Assistant Coach Eric Calland added. 

Graduating Senior Karson Lane said football has been a grounding for him over his high school career. 

“Being a part of the program has taught me a lot about holding myself to a higher standard and taking accountability for my actions,” Lane said.  He has been playing football since middle school and has cherished every moment.

“Obviously, I loved playing under the lights every Friday night, but that’s not what I’m going to miss most,” Lane said. “It’s going to be really hard leaving the relationships I’ve made these past years; that’s what I’ll miss most.” 

“ I don’t know where I would be without football,” graduating Senior Tyler O’Reilly said. 

“O’Reilly has brought so much leadership to the team during his time as a part of the program,” Coach Calland said. 

O’Reilly has been playing football since he was little. “I’ve always grown up around it; it’s been my life forever,” he said. O’Reilly plans to attend Ashland University where he will play football. 

“I love the sport and the team aspect of it, it has really shaped me into who I am today,” O’Reilly said.

Head Coach Matthew Christ had many good things to say about this year’s senior class. “ I couldn’t have asked for a better group of kids, they have made me a better coach, teacher, and more importantly a better person overall,”Chirst said.

Christ has been working with this group for the past four seasons and has loved every minute of it. “ Not having them next year is going to be a big adjustment but they have left such a positive impact on the program,” he said.

Coach Calland said, “ These past four years have been an absolute blast with this group of guys.”