Thanksgiving traditions

Jack Kielmeyer

The fourth Thursday of November represents family, football, and food. With Thanksgiving, food is the most important because people might not get along with all of their relatives or root for the same team, but the food is what brings everyone together. 

The “big” meal on Thanksgiving is what most people look forward to, people willingly stuff their faces with turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, and a cornucopia of sides as well as desserts. Families wake up early and stay up late for days beforehand to prepare the side dishes, desserts, and the turkey so that the food can be the best it can be. 

Like any typical day, people wake up and decide what to eat for breakfast. Except, on a day all about eating a “big” meal, some opt to fast, saving more room for their holiday favorites.

Senior, Aidan Gigas said, “[I] Fast! [There is]no other option!” in a survey put out by The Scribe asking students about their Thanksgiving traditions. In that same survey, 60 percent of students said that they did not eat a full breakfast if any, to save room for the Thanksgiving dinner. 

Nearly every student surveyed put that mashed potatoes were one of their top two side dishes. Junior Kate Henman said, “I’m gonna eat all twenty pounds of mashed potatoes that my grandma makes.” 

According to the survey by The Scribe, 48 percent of the people surveyed said they cooked the traditional Thanksgiving turkey, versus other meats such as ham or the three layered monstrosity of the tur-duck-en. 

Just like Columbus Day, Thanksgiving has been deemed racist by some groups due to the harsh treatment of Native Americans by colonists and what would become Americans. However, Junior Cole Holbrook said, “How can it be racist, you’re just eating food.”

Students and their families seem to enjoy traditional themes and foods for Thanksgiving according to the polls. Happy Thanksgiving, Wildcats!