COVID-19 Affects Preparations for The Holidays

Andrew Speicher, Co-Editor

With the many changes that have come with COVID-19, the holidays will look a little different this year; however, some traditions will remain the same. The Scribe reached out to students to see which holidays they celebrate, and how they’ll be different this year. 

Senior, Dani Wartel, celebrates Hanukkah. According to USA Today, Hanukkah is the celebration of the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem during the second century B.C. 

Wartel celebrates through lighting the menorah, saying blessings, and eating traditional fried foods. Due to COVID-19, Wartel isn’t able to see her extended family this year during Hanukkah. “Hanukkah to me represents resilience and optimism even in the hardest times,” said Wartel.

Dani Wartel’s menorah on the first day of her Hanukkah celebrations (Dani Wartel)

The Scribe conducted a poll and found that the most celebrated holiday at South is Christmas. 

Laney Walden, sophomore, will be celebrating Christmas on Zoom this year. “Usually, in a year without a pandemic, I have a Christmas party at my house with my friends right after break where we exchange gifts,” Walden said. 

Sophomore, Laney Walden, and friends at her Christmas party last year. (Laney Walden)

Walden said she actually did more Christmas shopping this year than past. “It wasn’t long shopping trips because of COVID,” said Walden. “But I was able to support small businesses and also get some stuff online.”

English teacher, Jen Baker, said she ordered all her Christmas gifts online before Thanksgiving. She said, “I’ve actually never been this organized, but I was worried things would shut down or everyone would be ordering so delivery times would be slow if I waited too long.” 

Baker said she feels less stressed this year and hopes that she can stay this organized next year. 

Freshman, Cassidy Chakford, celebrates Christmas with her parents and grandparents. To take extra precaution this year, Chakford won’t be celebrating with her grandparents. 

“I have a feeling we’ll be more grateful for what we have this year,” said Chakford. “I think Christmas will be one of the best things to happen in this miserable year.”