Once A Wildcat, Always a Wildcat: Motto Rings True for South Teacher

Lauryn Bowie, Social Media Manager

Eric Calland is a familiar name around Westerville South. Calland attended Westerville South in 2000-2003 where he played an important role as the Quarterback on the football team and was also an editor for the school newspaper, The Scribe

South also happens to be the place where Calland met his wife, who is now the mother of his three children.

“Westerville South is a special place for me; it gave me my friends, family and it’s everything I know really,” Calland said. Calland said that he loved growing up in Westerville. 

My two oldest kids currently attend Annehurst like I did so it’s been fun recalling experiences that I can remember from those days as they go through their elementary years.  I’m sure that will continue as they go on to middle school and eventually South!”

Calland is also very excited for his kids to grow up and truly experience Westerville South. “The kids are already pretty involved in stuff around here; my son is a ball boy for the Friday night football games, and he loves it.  My daughter loves wearing Wildcat gear.  It’s great to see,”  he said.

After high school Calland went on to play football at Capital University. 

“I wanted to stay close to home. I was never planning on leaving,” Calland said.  He also shared that he could have become a Buckeye. 

“I was thinking about going to Ohio State, but I knew that I wanted to play football while I still could, so Capital it was.”

Calland said he had a great college experience.  “I was fortunate to have a really great athletic experience at Capital playing football. It certainly helps that we won a lot, but I started to appreciate pretty early on in college that I won’t ever be able to play sports like this again so I truly tried to enjoy every aspect of the experience.” He added, even things like practice reps and off-season workouts.

Another aspect Calland enjoyed was being able to come home on weekends and that his family was able to come to see him play. 

Calland began at Capital as an undecided major. “I was on the fence between athletic training and teaching. I could see myself doing both, but I somehow found out that South was having openings and that sealed my decision. It was a no-brainer at that point,” he said.

Calland said he loves Westerville South.  He explained, “I love the family atmosphere and how diverse we are and accepting of each other.” 

He said that after he and his wife completed their college education, they both were looking to get back to Westerville, and it had felt like everything came full circle.

Calland said that he thinks having kids really helped him become a better and more personable teacher. “After having kids my patience definitely grew. I also feel like I better understand how kids work and what they are going through on a daily basis,” he said.

When Calland isn’t teaching his AP Psychology or American History classes, you may catch him working out with other coaches in the weight room, or playing video games. 

“ I love working out and feeling active, but I also love kicking my feet up and playing video games.” All in all, Calland has found his home in Westerville South, and has no intention of leaving anytime soon.