Guidance Counselor Justin Ferguson, always helpful

Justin Ferguson in his office

Photo by Jack Rockwood

Justin Ferguson in his office

Jack Rockwood, Reporter

Guidance counselor Justin Ferguson lives by “Be quick to listen, and slow to anger,” from James 1:19. These words are reflected both in his words and character.

Ferguson has been a guidance counselor at South for four years and counting, he is very caring and is always very busy helping students.

He was born in Columbus and graduated from Pickerington High School. “I’ve played sports all my life including high school and college,” Ferguson stated. “I still actively play sports, coach sports, play fantasy football, and stay active.”

Ferguson commented on why he wanted to work at Westerville South. “I wanted a short commute, and I wanted to work at a school that I could send my kids to,” Ferguson stated, “I wanted to be at a place where the student population  was diverse yet the school had good resources and academic opportunities.”

Ferguson lives in Westerville with his wife Carlee and three boys named Jaylin, Julius, and Jeeno. “My boys are districted to South, Go Cats!” Ferguson said.

Working at South, Ferguson spends most of his day answering emails, creating solutions to problems, and sending information out to students and families. “After the school day, I head to wrestling practice and run a portion of that,” he stated.

Fellow guidance counselor Jenny Coulter commented on how well Ferguson treats others, stating, “He is an incredible human being, and is very genuine and compassionate for others.” Coulter added, “He is such an asset to not only our department and Westerville South HS, but also the entire district and community he serves.”

Senior Elijah Rozens mentioned how Ferguson has helped him. “Ferguson has helped me choose classes and talked over a couple issues in my personal life and in regards to graduation. With both of these issues, he helped me through them and is still helping me work through my problems and my classes,” Rozens stated. “I think he’s done a good job with what I’ve needed and asked for help with,” he added.

Working alongside Mr. Ferguson as a school counselor, it is observable how he sees all students and believes in all students,” Coulter stated. She described Ferguson as a wealth of knowledge and resources to support all students.

Ferguson lives by some quotes that reflect how he acts in his daily life as described by Coulter, including, “Always better to have and not need, than to need and not have”  by Franz Kafka.

“Sometimes it seems like there just isn’t enough time in the day, but I appreciate all the opportunities throughout my day that I get to spend directly with students,” Ferguson stated.  “I believe in a calling; and for me, I feel called to helping young people, and I love sports, so if I’m able to incorporate those things with any job that I do, then I’ll enjoy the work everyday.”